Monday, August 23, 2010


Late last week I entered into a nasty little flare up. I managed to stay away from my prednisone despite wake boarding and jet skiing this weekend. I finished my first workout with my new trainer this morning. The picture basically shows how I am feeling after my session. 10 weeks of this? I guess I better slip on a pair of big boy chonies and suck it up. This is going to be tough. The scary part is this is just the test to find my starting point. I actually thought to appear weaker then I was just to make my starting point a little easier. Shame got the better of me and I found the fortitude to give it everything I had. I'll be sure to share what comes of this testing week after it ends. A few of my joints hurt today but just about every muscle in my body is numb at this point. I am going to have a coworker start 1000ml IV on me in a few minutes. I am definately dehydrated from the weekend activities and this mornings workout. Some O2 therapy might be needed as well...lol. So I had a great weekend on the river with family and a sobering workout this morning. I ache and hurt but the pain lets me know I am still alive and kicking. Hoping everyone had a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the flare Mike. I usually stay away from prednisone as well. Your being active prior to your illness is helpful. People who were not active prior don’t know how to start because they are pain – it is a deterrent. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how you do the things you do with RA, and through a flare, no less. Keep on rockin'! Though, I do hope that flare goes far away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your flaring! It sucks at best. Good for you keeping your body busy. Today I did some cardiac test and I realized how much I miss my treadmill. I mow every week twice a week with a push mower, walk the dogs, do housework etc... I have to keep moving or my joints seize up on me. I'm impressed with your efforts! Tazzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Mike. Well, except for the flare, ... and the dehydration, oh and the hurting and fatigue also suck. But other than that stuff, sounds like an awesome time. You'll have to post some jet ski and wake boarding pics for us. I'm jealous of you working with your new trainer. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a big part of me being able to deal with my flare ups is mostly being thick headed and stubborn. There are definately mornings my body wants nothing to do with working out. I am very fortunate to get paid to work out. I am sure that plays a factor in me getting my butt out of bed. Terry, I will be sure to snap some pics next time we are on the water. Maybe some pics of "combat tubing" as well.

    ReplyDelete